Friday, May 8, 2009

Balancing Ambitions and Self-Contentedness

I have always been a very competitive person since young and I gave the credit to my late grandfather for instilling that nature in me. Thus far, it has served me well, particularly in my life as a student. It spurred me to work harder, to be the top, to be the crème de la crème. Competitiveness and ambitions go hand in hand and naturally, as my competitiveness grows, so does my ambitions. Thus, is it a good thing to be ambitious?

From the perspective of career-minded people, the answer is a definite ‘yes’. Ambitions allow one to set high goals and think of various ways or permutations to achieve them. Ambitions make one more efficient and more productive, 2 of the main criteria that employers look for in job applicants. Without ambitions, one tends to be contented with his current situation and thus unlikely to put in that extra effort. Is being contented then necessarily a bad thing?

If I had been asked this question just a year ago, I would probably have given you an ‘isn’t-it-obvious’ look before replying firmly: yes! However, experience has taught me to think twice or even more before giving a firm ‘yes’. Unlike words such as diligent and lazy, which when used, directly imply the inherent character of the person as good and bad respectively, the words ‘highly ambitious’ and ‘easily contented’ are not so easily categorized.

‘Highly ambitious’ could mean one is working hard to achieve his goals but at the same time, has sacrificed many things around him in pursuit of his goals: his family, his relationship or even his current job (if his goals have no links to the existing one). Can this ‘highly ambitious’ person be categorized as a good and hardworking person?

‘Easily contented’ could mean one is not putting any additional effort beyond that required but at the very least, he does not sacrifice other things which are dear to him. Can this ‘easily contented’ person be categorized as a bad and lazy person?

I am a very good real-life example of this ‘highly ambitious’ person and am not proud of it. In pursuit of my goals, I have sacrificed many things around me, things which are dear to me. I regret my actions and wish that I can turn back the clock.

If you don’t want to learn it the hard way like me, here’s an advice: A good balance between ambitions and contention is necessary. While pursuing your ambitions, do make sure that you do not sacrifice the existing things. If you begin to do so, then perhaps you should try to slow down such that you do not compromise the existing things. All in all, cherish what you have even as you are in pursuit of those greater goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment